Introductory

Thoughts, a diary... things I don't think people read anymore. (Which is good for me.)

Monday, April 25, 2011

Human Connection w/ Foghorn Leghorn

    After waking up from a congested 7-hour sleep, a sleep where I couldn't breathe due to phlegm build-up and a sore throat, I get up and opened my laptop (which I deemed rightly so "Pancho") to finish some college application sheets. After logging into the SJSU site, and calling the Housing Department/Orientation management and shiznit like that because they screwed up on my payments, I look up to the top right corner of my Safari browser in exasperation (Mac computers for the win, screw PCs) and see that I Google Searched "Foghorn Leghorn".

    That made me go "wft".
Foghorn Leghorn


    I was staying up late with two of my good friends, because the other two I was Skype chatting logged off for the night/morning. I was talking to one friend, Ari, and the other, which of course, was Katie. I was busy being artsy, so I didn't reluctantly stay up with Katie like normal (cuz I want to go to sleep, dammit), I went with it willingly. I had something to keep me preoccupied (because I was...artsy. And I'm not too bad, either) so I was chill with the all-nighter. Ari was on Skype call, while Katie was only on the chat.

    So, around 1-2am both Katie and Ari get quiet - you know the "quiet", where nobody talks but you know they're there. However, Ari's cat kept walking over her keyboard, and turning her computer off, so she kept unexpectedly logging out of Skype. For those random periods of time, it was just Katie and I on the chat - and that's all it was, type-chat. Not voice-chat.

     And here is where I came across this feeling:

     One can be on a voice-chat and not say anything, yet still feel that a person is there with you. You don't have that lonely feeling, where one is on just a text-chat, and nobody types anything. With text, you know that a person is there, but you can't feel them. Here is where I feel that some modes of communication, such as text and IM and things, fall obsolete to the original call. Even if you're not saying one word, or making any noise, you can still feel the human connection with the person you're with. It's a more intimate feeling, where just sitting there with a screen full of typo-ed and slangy IM terms seems a little more desensitized. I personally like the phone call. I like hearing my friend's voices, I like being able to pick up the tones in their voices, if they're sarcastic, happy, sad, bored - anything. You can even read their faces, just by listening to their voice. That, my friends, is a pretty cool thing.

     Now don't get me wrong, sometimes texting is just the better choice, and even the faster choice, but nothing beats that personal human connection with one friend to another with just a simple call.

[Yeah so Foghorn Leghorn was the catalyst to my semi-serious topic. And I still have no clue why I Googled him. But thinking about it made a good point; I hope I wrote it well enough so people could understand it.

     "Doo-dah, doo-dah, lump-teen-dozen and a doo-dah day!"]

1 comment:

  1. That was your serious tone up until the end with the [ stuff ].

    I wonder why you googled that also. And yes, a phone call is always good, but then I feel awkward if I have nothing to say...

    ReplyDelete